(depreciated) empty page - TJP
The easiest MIRC install ever. Updated to Z1
1 Important points
- You need to use Ubuntu 10.04.x (Luicd) 32-bit (i386). Not 64-bit (amd64)
- Official Ubuntu distro - http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu-releases/10.04.2/ubuntu-10.04.2-server-i386.iso (or use a local mirror closer to you).
- Using a pre-built turnkey appliance can save some time - http://www.turnkeylinux.org/core
2 First step:
Install Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid 32-bit on a virtual machine or a real computer.
The following commands should be executed as root (or using sudo)
apt-get update && apt-get -y install python-software-properties apt-add-repository 'deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner' apt-add-repository ppa:timothy-john-phillips/mirc apt-get update apt-get -y install mirc-z1-tjp2
You will be asked to agree to the terms and conditions of Sun Java and then to ImageIO. Agree to it all.
4 Try it out
Point a web browswer at the IP address of your Ubuntu machine and you should see your new MIRC site.
- username = admin
- password = password
5 Included features
- Automatically starts at boot up and closes at shutdown.
- JAI IO included.
- port 80 access (default web port)
6 What happens behind the scenes
- Installing the mirc-z1 package automatically installs two other packages
- sun-java6-jre - this is the official Sun (Oracle) Java 1.6 JRE package, which lives in the partner repository.
- jai-imageio-1.1 - this is a package I created to automate the installation of the Sun (Oracle) ImageIO libraries.
- the MIRC/CTP files are put into /usr/share/mirc/
- A linux bash script (CTP-start.sh) is installed in the /usr/share/mirc/ folder - this launches CTP/MIRC from whichever folder it is in.
- An Ubuntu Upstart script (mirc.conf) is installed in the /etc/init/ folder.
I've made these repositories to simplify the installation of MIRC on Linux. It eliminates the fiddling with Java Image IO tools. I plan to update it with each release of MIRC Zx.
Hope this helps someone. Appreciate any feedback. - firstname.lastname@example.org