(depreciated) empty page - TJP
1 How to install MIRC-Zn on Ubuntu Linux
- Download the script
- Make it executable
chmod 777 ./install-MIRC-Zn
- Run the script
- Point your browser to the machine you just installed it on and MIRC should be up and running.
- This script will also upgrade a previous "Tim Phillips" installation of MIRC-Zn so it can be used again when the RSNA code is updated.
2 What the script does (feel free to look at it before you run it)
- Checks you're running it as root or using sudo.
- Stops the MIRC-Zn service if its running.
- Checks which chipset you're running.
- Enables the ubuntu partner repo (to get Oracle Java).
- Answers the Java installation questions in advance.
- Installs SunJava and a few other necessary applications.
- Downloads the appropriate JAI ImageIO files installs JAI ImageIO.
- Downloads the latest version of MIRC-Zn.
- Writes an upstart script (so that CTP/MIRC will be run as a service automatically).
- Installs RSNA MIRC.
3 Choosing between Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server
- Ubuntu Desktop
- Easier (very easy) if you're new to Linux.
- May be very slightly slower but on modern hardware you are unlikely to notice the difference.
- Ubuntu Server
- Makes more sense - MIRC is a web service after all.
- Will be leaner and faster.
- Can run on a headless server or virtual machine.
- TurnkeyLinux is a very good Ubuntu install for this purpose.
Any questions or comments please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org - Tim Phillips.