MIRC Installation on Vista
This article describes how to install MIRC on a Vista system. The procedure is quite different from that for XP because Vista treats Windows services differently from XP. Currently (5/2007), Tomcat cannot run under Vista as a Windows service. This means that Tomcat cannot be installed using the Tomcat service installer for Windows. Instead, it must be installed by expanding the Tomcat zip file. This in turn requires that the Java Developer's Kit (JDK) be installed rather than just the JRE, which is sufficient for running as a Windows service.
1 Install the Java Developer's Kit
Download the latest standard edition JDK for Windows from http://java.sun.com. It will have a name like jdk-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe.
Run the file. The installer will provide a page for selecting which components to install. It is safe to accept the defaults, but you can save space by deselecting the documentation and the source code. The JDK itself and the JRE are both required.
2 Install the JAI ImageIO Tools
Download the latest release of the Java Advanced Imaging ImageIO Tools from http://java.sun.com. It will have a name like jai_imageio-1_1-lib-windows-i586-jdk.exe. Note that the ImageIO Tools are separate from the JAI itself, so be careful to obtain the ImageIO Tools. The JAI itself is not required.
Run the file and accept all the defaults.
3 Define a System Variable for Java
After installing the JDK and the these files, you must define a system variable which points to the JDK. This will allow Tomcat to find Java when it starts. If you install the JDK is the standard place, it will be in the following directory:
- Click the Start button.
- Right-click the Computer button in the Start menu.
- Select Properties in the pop-up menu.
- In the Tasks pane, click Advanced System Settings.
- In the System Properties dialog, click the Advanced tab.
- Click the Environment Variables button.
- In the lower part of the next window, click New....
- In the Variable name field, enter: JAVA_HOME
- In the Variable value field, enter the path to the JDK.
- Finally, click OK on all the dialogs.