(depreciated) empty page - TJP
The easiest MIRC install ever. Updated to Z1
1 Included features
- Installs JAI IO included.
- port 80 access (default web port)
- Automatically starts at boot up and closes at shutdown.
2.1 Important points
- You need to use Ubuntu 10.04.x (Luicd) 32-bit (i386). Not 64-bit (amd64)
- Official Ubuntu distro - http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu-releases/10.04.2/ubuntu-10.04.2-server-i386.iso (or use a local mirror closer to you).
- Using a pre-built turnkey appliance can save some time - http://www.turnkeylinux.org/core
2.2 First step:
Install Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid 32-bit on a virtual machine or a real computer.
The following commands should be executed as root (or using sudo)
apt-get update apt-get -y install python-software-properties apt-add-repository 'deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner' apt-add-repository ppa:timothy-john-phillips/mirc apt-get update apt-get -y install mirc
You will be asked to agree to the terms and conditions of Sun Java and then to ImageIO. Agree to it all.
3.1 Web access to the MIRC site
Point a web browswer at the IP address of your Ubuntu machine and you should see your new MIRC site.
- username = admin
- password = password
3.2 Manual Startup and Shutdown (rarely needed)
From the command line: To start the mirc server
service mirc start
To shutdown the mirc server
service mirc stop
To restart the mirc server
service mirc restart
3.3 What happens behind the scenes
- Installing the mirc-z1 package automatically installs two other packages
- sun-java6-jre - this is the official Sun (Oracle) Java 1.6 JRE package, which lives in the partner repository.
- jai-imageio-1.1 - this is a package I created to automate the installation of the Sun (Oracle) ImageIO libraries.
- the MIRC/CTP files are put into /usr/share/mirc/
- An Ubuntu Upstart script (mirc.conf) is installed in the /etc/init/ folder.
I've made these repositories to simplify the installation of MIRC on Linux. It eliminates the fiddling with Java Image IO tools. I plan to update it with each release of MIRC Zx.
Hope this helps someone. Appreciate any feedback. - email@example.com