Install Java Advanced Imaging ImageIO Tools on a Linux Machine
The binary (.bin) files at the Oracle / Sun website do not work on modern versions of the linux kernel / ubuntu / debian distros.
2 How to install Java Advanced Imaging ImageIO Tools on Ubuntu Linux
- Download the script
- If you are a normal user (ie not root) on ubuntu
sudo bash ./install-java-jai-imageio
- If root user
3 What the script does (feel free to have a look before you run it)
- Checks you're running it as root or using sudo.
- Updates the Ubuntu repos if need be.
- Checks which chipset you're running.
- (If Oracle / Sun Java 6 isn't already installed)
- Answers the Java installation questions in advance.
- Installs the default java for your distro.
- Downloads the appropriate JAI ImageIO files installs JAI ImageIO.
Any questions or comments please email me at email@example.com - Tim Phillips.